City Boy Memorabilia

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

psilander
Hap-ki-do kid

City Boy Memorabilia

Post by psilander » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 am

Max Thomas wrote:“CITY BOY” was sort of obvious really: backdrop of Birmingham City Centre, and the bricks logo, as I recall, was designed by the Art Department at Phonogram. (I’ve actually got a huge belt-buckle which is a metal version of this logo – it’s quite tacky!)

See y’all!
Love in Him,
Max

I'd KILL for that buckle! (Well, not Max, of course! :oops: )
Still, the issue made me think what people might have hidden (or have lost over the years) of City Boy Memorabilia.
So, what do you have, fellers?? I have a scarf and a badge, images here:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-17078/cityboy/memo.htm
I also got my Book Early copy signed by Lol and Steve during a concert in Stockholm 1979. The pen they used is still attached to the cover!

/Chris
Last edited by psilander on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why should I worry? All's well and it's fair.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:09 pm

Great topic! Thanks for sharing!

Now, if I only had a car like Marty McFly, I would for sure collect CB memorabilia back to the future!

L.A.Fan
Mr Shoes

Post by L.A.Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:44 pm

As I have said many time in the past. Max should consider going through some of his old stuff and putting it up for auction here if Rito will allow it.

It's a win win situation. A chance for the real CB fans to get a little of the band's history and a good way for Max to raise some much needed cash.
Ain't that Rich!

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:17 pm

As i mentioned in the other post, i had an enamel badge of the 'brick' logo. I think i put an advert in the local Birmingham paper and got it for 5 pounds. Lost it one Saturday afternoon having been on the 'POP'.........!!
Would love to get hold of another one. Just remembered, i had another one too, in plastic though. Totally different design though. I think it was done specially for an Oxford gig they did.
Stone me what a life.

ggggg
Narcissus

Memorabilia

Post by ggggg » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:30 pm

I don't know if this would be considered "memorabilia" but...

When the boys played The Bottom Line in NYC (this concert was also broadcast on the radio) the first 200 people let in the doors with a CB button on received a free copy of TDTECF which was signed by all the band members.

I made my own CB button and was one of the first 200. I treasure the album to this day.

And, I don't believe it has ever been played as I believe I had already purchased the album when it first came out.

ggggg

-=Todd=-
Car-Eating Man

Post by -=Todd=- » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:51 pm

I've got a promo "Book Early" album sheet (photo front & back), an autographed guitar pickguard from Mike "guitar god" Slamer, and a Christmas card from the Slamer family.
-=Todd=-

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:52 am

Nice one Todd.........!!
Stone me what a life.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:13 am

Dave, I think it's worth mentioning the ticket you have from the band's last appearance ever on home ground (Thursday September 7th, 1978 at the Civic Hall in Wolverhamton). It happened to be the same day Keith Moon died, as you commented on the copy of the ticket which I received from you.

1after2

Post by 1after2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:55 am

Well just a few things from recent history : a handwritten letter from Max, together with the handwritten envelope to my home address, and a autographed copy of Beginning To End.
At the time I got to know City Boy (1980), there was very little chance of stumbling upon anything collectable anymore.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:27 pm

Mikael, you're nearly correct in what you say, their last English gig was actually the next night at the Music Machine in London. They were only able to get the two gigs in, (5705 had just charted), as i believe they were committed to an upcoming American tour. As for memorabilia, i was forgeting the German press kit for Turn On To Jesus that i received from Chris Dunn. Contained the single TOTJ, (though only in the stock English red and black Phonogram sleeve), biography, (in German), press photograph inside an A4 sized yellow, green and black folder, with a hand written note from Chris.
Stone me what a life.

peter6604
Narcissus

Re: City Boy Memorabilia

Post by peter6604 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:55 pm

psilander wrote:I'd KILL for that buckle! Well, not Max, of course! :oops:
Still, the issue made me think what people might have hidden (or have lost over the years) of City Boy Memorabilia.
So, what do you have, fellers?? I have a scarf and a badge, images here:
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-17078/cityboy/memo.htm

/Chris

I have the same scarf and even the ticket from the concert in Linkoping. I also found the t-shirt from the tour recently. I believe both the scarf and the t-shirt are unofficial stuff.
Last edited by peter6604 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter from Linkoping, Sweden

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:46 am

I have one piece that I cherish a lot; A signed cover of Turn on to Jesus, where Steve wrote "these are very rare". That made me very happy at the time (1979) and I still am.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:00 am

Have also got the first two LP sleeves signed, one with Roger Kent, the other with Roy Ward.
Stone me what a life.

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:28 pm

It's funny to remember how I considered my promo-stamped LP's in 1979 to be near collector items - NO ONE in my circle of friends knew of or had any City Boy albums (except for the guy who had first lent me all of his promo LP's).

I wish I could have been able to track concert schedules etc. back in those days (like the internet can do now). I know they've been through the S.F. Bay Area... I just wasn't up on the smaller venue scene to even know. Perhaps I was too busy watching out for BOC, RUSH and KANSAS.

It's great to see what everyone has collected... and the scans and photos are like gold to those of us that never knew this stuff existed. Please keep it up !!

(and HUGE THANKS again to Dave for the amazing gift of clippings last year !!)

(and to Richard for supplying me with the copy of IT'S PERSONAL after over 20 years of not knowing about its existence.) :oops:

~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:43 pm

No problem with the clippings Dan. Have got a couple of sets ready and waiting................anyone ? Can get more done if required.
Stone me what a life.